Friday, October 16, 2009

The Wonderful World of Kalamazoo

A day in the life of a young student who recently put Kalamazoo on her map
By Dallas Spiecker

Let me introduce myself: I am a twenty-something, young married, world citizen who has had a diverse mix of cultural encounters, some more pleasant than others. I’ve lived in a different city every two years since I was in high school: a couple years on the west coast of Canada, another year just east of the Rocky Mountains, a few years over the pond in Europe and most recently, I’ve found myself in Kalamazoo

Kalamazoo. I had to convince my family and friends that the city I am in really does exist. I explain that not only does Kalamazoo exist, but that it is a noteworthy city as well. Other than offering a world-renowned music program, the fact that Tim Allen of “Home Improvement” attended Western Michigan University was a major selling point. I now have a waiting list for my futon.

When I live a new city, I like to surpass the role of tourist. I prefer to get involved and play the role of citizen. Before I even arrived in Kalamazoo, I had signed up for a soccer team, located the Farmer’s Market and mapped out the nearest mall—with a complete analysis of the store directory. For me, the adventure of travel begins in unraveling the roots of local tradition and discovering the heartbeat of a city. The beginning of the journey usually starts with observations.

I have never been one for the razzle-dazzle of big city flair. The London-Eye was, well, tall. The Lago di Garda was vast and people in Amsterdam spoke better English than Dutch. Kalamazoo’s downtown area has somewhat of a European feel between the brick buildings, the parks and the arcade-style mall. I like that history has been maintained and rejuvenated in this city. On Sunday afternoons, I like to run downtown to explore new sights and continue my observations—from cozy benches to piano bars and street-side cafes.

The Farmer’s Market is the greatest jewel I have found so far. If I were to give a tour of Kalamazoo, this would be one of the first stops on the map. I try to get to the market at the crack of dawn on Saturday mornings before all the pies and cinnamon buns have sold out. The warmth and neighborliness of the vendors draws me back with anticipation each week. I’ve already made a friend. His name is Fred, and he has the best apples in town.

As I have learned to embrace cultures rather than qualify them, I have collected invaluable experience and knowledge along my journey. I realize that I still have a long way to go in understanding the inner workings of Kalamazoo. But I have enjoyed my initial immersion and look forward to what I will discover next.

No comments: