Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The "Green" Tea Drinker



Dressed up and ready to go out for an evening, I tucked my cell phone into my purse before knocking on the heavy oak door. I had one obligation to fulfill before a night on the town, and approximately one hour to spend in quiet observation. Or so I thought.

I was invited to a tea party. And as I looked up at Tudor House Tea, a charming home nestled atop a hill in a Parchment neighborhood, I was prepared to sip a steaming cup of something brewed for a mature, rather serious palate.

To my surprise the heavy door opened to roaring expressions of awe and laughter. Nearly a dozen women hovered over a tray of tea canisters in an enchanting but regal living room. I was hardly seated before a small container of strawberry-kiwi loose-leaf tea was held before my face. As its fragrance drifted at me I briefly escaped to childhood summers filled with popsicles and Orange Crush.

Orange Crush was the “tea of choice” at my last formal tea party. But that was almost 20 years ago, when soda was an appropriate tea substitute for children dressed in nightgowns playing with grandma’s miniature tea sets. My adult experience would prove just as fun.

We were seated at tables with fine china, tiers of freshly baked scones and dainty jars of whipped lemon curd and flavored honeys. Tudor Tea House owner and tea expert, Lady Jeri Holcomb, poured our tea as she explained its history and health benefits. A lace scarf draped delicately around her neck, I was as taken by Jeri’s refinement as by her facts and stories.

We first sampled Organic Romantic Rose, a white tea with high notes of peppermint and hints of lavender. Later we were poured cups of Organic Masala Chai and Sweet Cranberry, two black and very versatile brews. I learned that while white, green and black teas originate from the same bush, it is how they are processed that develops their color and flavor.

As Lady Jeri listed the health benefits and anti-oxidant properties of tea, I took notes and leafed through a catalogue of flavored teas, teapots and china. I realized that my elbows were on the table—I may not have been as polished as I envisioned the tea drinker. But at that tea party, I became fascinated with the healthy beverage and the camaraderie that evolved as our cups were lifted and returned to their saucers. Two hours had gone by and I was late for my night on the town.

I left Tudor House Tea with two bags of loose-leaf tea. Because the varieties I chose can be brewed more than once, my high quality tea is surprisingly more affordable than the “leftover” tea that is sold in bags at the supermarket. What was more affordable was the tea party itself—it cost nothing to host or attend.

Scheduling a tea party with your friends at Tudor House Tea means no preparation or clean up and the chance to earn free products and discounts. Private Tea Parties that include three teas and four courses of hors d’oeuvres may be scheduled by reservation at the Tudor House for a small per person fee that is donated to the YWCA Domestic Assault Shelter in Kalamazoo. To learn more about Tudor House Tea, the benefits of “taking tea” or to schedule a tea party with friends, visit www.TudorHouseTea.com.

No comments: