Thursday, August 21, 2008

Put Yourself in Kristi's Shoes




Editor's Note: Kristi Buckham, whose regular column addresses single life in Kalamazoo (in contrast with her counterparts who drifted to the big city) had a revelation cleaning out her closet recently. Enjoy.

By Kristi Buckham
ShareKalamazoo Columnist

Several weeks ago I was elated to have received a coupon from Macy’s shoe department…until I read the fine print. In very small letters I was informed that the discount was a reward for having purchased five pairs of shoes within the past 12 months. My excitement turned to shame. Macy’s confirmed it: my fascination with footwear was officially excessive.

I opened my closet door to verify Macy’s claim. And there they were, strewn across the floor: strappy sandals, wedges, patent-leather pumps, red mary janes and a pair of winter boots. I think I heard the devil on my left shoulder, complimenting my exceptional taste—until the angel on my right shoulder interrupted to say, “you’re out of control.”

If was a rock star or Hollywood diva, I wouldn’t think twice about owning more than 30 pairs of shoes. Instead, I’m a young professional who cringes every time I swipe my debit card for a tank of gas or bag of groceries. From an economic, big-picture standpoint, there are many needs within our community that do not involve Steve Madden’s straps or buckles. I have become very aware that the resources that go into unnecessary purchases, like three or four extra pairs of shoes, could easily go towards a purchase that is less disposable and more fulfilling.

According to Kalamazoo Communities in Schools (KCIS), 60 percent of Kalamazoo Public Schools students come from families who live at or below poverty level. KCIS connects thousands of KPS students with community resources, including in-school health clinics, dental exams, eye exams, eyeglasses, programs that provide food and clothing, tutoring, mentoring and mental and behavioral health services. By providing these resources, KCIS enables educators to focus on teaching and students to concentrate on learning and making the Kalamazoo Promise a reality.

Last year, KCIS provided more than 1,700 pairs of shoes and items of clothing to students in Kalamazoo. Instead of counting my shoes I should be counting my blessings. I have several pairs of nice athletic shoes that have a lot of miles left in them to run the halls of a high school. As for the heels, they’ll go to the Goodwill Industries where they’ll bring good luck to a budding professional. And that is why I’m cleaning out my closet.

If you can think of ways to contribute to Kalamazoo Public Schools students or would like to make a donation, visit Kalamazoo Communities in Schools. To learn how to donate new or gently used clothing, visit Goodwill Industries.

No comments: