Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Put Your Pedal to the Metal...

Back in my college days, I always got a thrill from riding my bike to lectures. I was a speed demon on my blue five-speed, weaving in and out of the walkers, roller-bladers and fellow bikers. Riding a bike was the quickest, most efficient way to get to class---if you had the guts to do it.

Pedaling to class cut 20 minutes from my walking commute. I had more time to sleep, finish a homework assignment or stand in front of a full closet to complain, “there’s nothing to wear.”

Back then, I envisioned myself in my “adult life” wearing a power suit and owning the streets as I drove a shiny new truck to work in a big city. But after I graduated I took advantage of a career opportunity in Kalamazoo and my commute to work was only 10 minutes each way by small, but very cute car.

In other words, I’ve cheated the national average commute time of 24.3 minutes, and sometimes I wonder what my “big city” friends are doing during those 100 hours a year they spend in their cars. Amazingly, though, as I navigate the streets of my “10 minute town” in a car so small it has a bug’s name, I’m finding myself spending more than $200 a month on gas.

Every time I fill up my gas tank I wonder what happened to my blue five-speed. I could use it right now. What’s really great is that biking to work is suddenly very fashionable, even on days “there’s nothing to wear.”

The Kalamazoo Chamber of Commerce and state Sen. Tom George (a physician who regularly bikes to work) recently hosted the “Bike to Work Event” and the movement is gaining traction.

Saving gas is just one benefit to biking to work—think of the environmental and health benefits. It’s more than a commute to work; it’s a workout! If biking to work simply isn’t an option, consider taking the bike for a “scenic drive” or to run an errand. Another beauty of our “10 minute town” is the growing trail system, not to mention the special lanes designed for cyclists.

I’m ready to hang up my car keys and hold on to the handlebars. It’s time to give new meaning to the expression “pedal” to the metal.

No comments: