Tuesday, April 15, 2008

You're My Hero!

A fireman may fearlessly enter a burning building to retrieve the family pet. Meanwhile, a lifeguard may brave unfriendly waters to rescue a swimmer from the grips of a rip current. I’m positive that on a universal scale, both individuals would be considered quite brave. We would celebrate them as heroes.

The question is, however, must you always defeat death and preserve life to earn a badge for courage? I greatly respect and admire heroes—ordinary people who have conquered extraordinary feats. But I also think that some recognition is due to the unsung hero in each of us. Sometimes the inner-satisfaction gained from conquering a small, personal feat is greater than any outward recognition.

For over 150 years my family has farmed the same plot of land on the west side of Kalamazoo. My great-grandmother had twin boys in the midst of the Great Depression. She gave birth at home and her doctor was compensated in potatoes. I never had the privilege to meet the tough woman who was my great-grandmother. She was no Franklin Roosevelt, but without a doubt her courage and strength has stretched generations.

For a farmer, the land is their lifeblood. Most of my family is surprisingly sheepish (no pun intended) around water. Imagine me, a young student enchanted by French language and culture—who longed to see Europe but couldn’t bear the thought of flying over a vast ocean. After three years of yearning contemplation, I packed a few pairs of clothes and a journal into my backpack. Like a timid person peering over the edge of the high-dive, I dove into the deep end. I boarded a plane to Europe and didn’t return for two months.

The fear of heights is called acrophobia. Imagine the satisfaction attained when someone with this condition conquers his or her apprehension by hang-gliding, parachuting or simply climbing a ladder. Years after my journey abroad, I continue to pat myself on the back. I had the courage to face a fear, and each day I’m rewarded with an appetite for culture, beauty and adventure. Like many others who overcome personal obstacles, I don’t need a medal. But I do feel convicted by the great-grandmother I never knew, and what I really need is for my courage and strength to endure for generations. If my mantra is “2008 is going to be great,” then consider me focused on the next fear.

No comments: