Tuesday, April 22, 2008

You Can Have Your Cake...

I tightened my lips in frustration as I smoothed the bright white icing around the cake for the thirtieth time. How could two layers of moist cake, bound by a sweet fruit filling, look like something I pulled of out my plastic Easy-Bake Oven in the 1980’s? After my first day of cake-decorating class, I brought home an edible tribute to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. My face still contorts when I think about it.

When the same friend who talked me into running half-marathons convinced me to take up decorating cakes, we were beyond optimistic. We dreamt of all the possibilities: we could make cakes for weddings, then open our own bakery, move on to become wedding planners and finally inspire a new reality show for the Food Network. But by the time we boxed up our first confused creation, we bid our sky-high aspirations farewell and settled for the fact that we were just learning a new hobby.

Internet news sites are overloaded with articles claiming to give the secret to job satisfaction. Every article offers the same bottom line—job satisfaction is derived from doing what you love. Many recommend taking your hobby, or what makes you unique, and then selling it to the world. This is easier said than done, especially when your hobbies include collecting PEZ dispensers and speaking in a British accent.

My lopsided cake taught me that we all have inherent gifts and abilities—and icing cakes was not mine. Sure, the cake was delicious and I’ve gone on to make a few more creative and comedic desserts in my spare time. But the search for job satisfaction will continue until I can combine thoughtfulness, creativity and passion all in a day’s work...and excel at it. Because I refuse to settle, the process of trial and error keeps my life interesting. I now have a huge box of cake decorating supplies. I’m starting to realize that maybe all I need is a pen and paper.

What’s next? My friend and I are thinking dance lessons. Maybe we’ll get in some music videos, do a stint on Broadway followed by a few seasons on Dancing with the Stars. Or maybe we’ll just learn a few moves and be the life of the next party. We won’t know unless we try!

No comments: