Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'll Have the Usual...







I distinctly remember a conversation I had with two peers last summer. We were having dinner in a secluded booth at a restaurant chain. The familiar green lamp hung low between our faces, lighting the familiar menu. Like seemingly every other restaurant in town, old trumpets and sports photos adorned the walls. We were young and single, and after ordering the usual hamburger, we never felt so stuck in Kalamazoo.

Perhaps you’re more apt to complain when you’re hungry, but I think our hunger was for something deeper. We huddled in our booth and dreamed up the ideal restaurant for the young, ambitious and inspired. We imagined the perfect downtown location; described the lighting, the furniture, the menu and the entertainment. We thirsted for innovation and excitement in Kalamazoo and were determined to find it: our monthly dinner date became a mission to explore new venues.

Removing the “chain” from Kalamazoo restaurants led to our discovery of some amazing food and cozy atmospheres. We tried variations of Japanese, Italian and Indian dishes. We sat on the deck while the sun set over Cosmo’s and shared a bottle of wine at Martini’s. Between secret family recipes, Spanish tapas and home-brewed beers, I was elated to have discovered the scrumptious hidden gems of Kalamazoo.

While my friends and I have yet to dine in the atmosphere we dreamed up one year ago, we haven’t lost hope. Two new restaurants, The Wine Loft and Charlie Foster’s, have opened in Downtown Kalamazoo—that makes two new opportunities to refine my palate and appreciate this evolving town.

So, you might be wondering what the perfect restaurant would be in the eyes of the single twenty-something: I want jazz floating through the air. Comfortable, yet contemporary style. An innovative menu with fresh, local ingredients. Engaging conversation and laughter. I want a reason to put on my little black dress and the high heels that I never wear—the ones that are just too amazing to part with.

…I think I want more than just a new restaurant in Kalamazoo.

No comments: