Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Shh! Don't Tell Anyone . . .

When I tell people that I run, I recognize the initial shock and horror on their faces. And while it’s never been clinically documented, I’ve been told many times that I’m crazy for jogging in the heat, rain and snow. Running is my little secret.

Sometimes, I get up before the sun to start my jog. I can get several miles in before the watchful eyes of the world open to start their day. I even sleep to run. My dreams are bombarded with 5Ks and impromptu track meets. In some dreams I disguise myself as a high school student and run relays and win meets. In others I’m lost on a 5K course and my legs are stuck in slow motion.

When I go to the gym, I’m obsessed with passing the other runners on the indoor track. In my mind, every runner is a bull’s eye before me and a cloud of dust behind me. At this point I’m no longer human. I’m Gail Devers clearing the last hurdle, or Sly Stallone punching the air as he climbs to the top of the steps in Rocky. Then Michael Jackson hiccups in my ear and eggs me on as he sings “Bad” through my headphones…

Is this normal?

Probably not. I’ve heard of runner’s high, but question its existence. Besides the obvious health benefits, I run to feed my competitive spirit. I was in need of a place to vent my running—a place where I knew I would get support from those with the same diagnosis. Luckily I’ve discovered the competition and camaraderie through local running clubs and races hosted by Gazelle Sports, Borgess Medical Center and Kalamazoo Area Runners.

A good friend and fellow runner was asked why she chose to run as a hobby. Her blunt response humored me but held some truth: “Because there’s nothing else to do in this town.” As single, twenty-something’s stuck in Kalamazoo, we may have discovered the healthiest way to conquer redundancy. So, the secret’s out.

**If running is your little secret, or if you’re interested in meeting new people and getting fit, consider running or walking on April 25 and 26 at the Borgess Run for the Health of it.

No comments: